CIVIL WAR ARTIFACT PRESERVATION ASSOCIATION
Thank you for visiting our site.
This is to introduce the Civil War Artifact Preservation Association
under the direction of John Barone.
This is a not-for-profit group whose mission is the recovery,
preservation, documentation and to make available for
public display historical artifacts found in local areas.
Artifacts are deteriorating rapidly in the ground and those as recently as the
Civil War will be lost forever unless properly preserved for future generations.
Making these recovered artifacts available for display to educate
everyone about our historical heritage is our ultimate goal.
We make available our artifacts to local schools
so children can learn about the Civil War.
We also work with state and local archaeologists to recover artifacts.
Rapid development and growth today has created an urgent need
to preserve our history by recovering the artifacts of our past
and collecting data that will be useful in telling the history of each archaeology site..
It is our mission to bridge the gaps in current preservation efforts,
we go to great lengths to provide the most accurate history or documentation
available for the items we examine.
Each artifact is numbered according to the location it was found
or from whom it was donated.
We believe historically significant artifacts should not be traded or sold
randomly without regard to their historic significance.
The Civil War Artifact Preservation Association is under the direction of
Co-Chairman C. Paul Martz and Co-Chairman John Barone
For all inquires please contact
HISTORICAL MARKER PROJECT
Camp Hopkins (HM13SI)
Location: Hedgesville, WV 25427 Berkeley County
Country: United States of America
N 39° 34.2', W 77° 58.956'
CIVIL WAR ARTIFACT PRESERVATION Association Has Adopted This Civil War Marker.
In December 1862, Union Gen. Benjamin F. Kelley stationed detachments of the 54th Pennsylvania and 1st West Virginia Infantry regiments here to guard and repair the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, a main supply route between the Ohio River and the national capital region.
On March 6, 1863, Col. Edward James and his 106th New York Volunteer Infantry and a section of Capt. Thomas A. Maulsby's Battery F, West Virginia Light Artillery (US), marched from Martinsburg and relieved the units. They first occupied a temporary camp across the tracks while preparing a more permanent site here.
The New Yorkers moved here on April 2, and James named the site Camp Hopkins for his friend and schoolmate Lt. James W. Hopkins, who recently had died in Martinsburg.
The camp consisted of conical Sibley tents arranged in company streets, with the companies positioned in line-of-battle order.
The regiment guarded the railroad and patrolled the countryside to confiscate Confederate contraband.
A cornfield and an apple orchard were located nearby, although the crops did no ripen soon enough to benefit the men,
who broke camp on June 13, 1863.
The 106th New York set off in pursuit of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia; the invasion of Pennsylvania that ended at Gettysburg was under way.
The campsite has survived remarkably intact since 1863, and holes where the tents stood are still visible.
The Windle family generously donated the property to the Berkeley County Landmarks Commission in 2008.
our camp is located on a steep wooded hill on the brow of which the tents are laid out. ... Picture the tents on a firm smooth swail, intersperced plentifully with fine large trees and you have some idea of it."
- Sgt. Maj. Charles W. Shepard, 106th N.Y. Volunteers, Apr. 8, 1863
Photo Credits:  CLARENCE MARTZ / CIVIL WAR ARTIFACT PRESERVATION ASSOCIATION