Archaeological Excavation

Archaeologists unearth prehistory and history at Fort Hunter’s Mansion.

Unearth evidence of 1700s military and settlement life as well as objects from prehistoric Indians.

1750s French and Indian war fort.

Archaeological dig turns up artifacts

Top Row from Left to Right - 1842 Eagle Plate - Confederate CS Plate Virginia Style Ovel - US Belt Plate
Bottom Row Left to Right - Eagle Plate - US Belt Plate - US Belt Plate
Artillery Shell Harpers Ferry

Archaeological Dig at Civil War Hospital site in Keedysville Maryland 

"All Artifacts recovered from private land with owner's permission."

Archaeological Dig at Civil War Hospital site in Keedysville Maryland 

This building know historically as Wyand’s store.
 It is a two-story brick building, six bays long by three bays deep.
The building was constructed in 1861- Brick smoke building was built before 
The battle of Antietam –1862.

 However, when the building was nearly complete, but not yet serving its intended purpose, 
 It was selected by the Union Army as a hospital Just prior to the Battle of Antietam 
September 1862.

 It then became a hospital were it is estimated that 200 men were treated.
 It is therefore, significant for its association with this important Civil War battle and as a store, 
 one of the largest in the county.

 After the Battle of South Mountain ended around nightfall on September 14, 1862, 
 many Confederates marched by here. 
 The next day, Gen. George B. McClellan’s Army of the Potomac arrived, and McClellan established his headquarters here in   
 the German Reformed Church. 
 The army bivouacked in and around Keedysville before it attacked Gen. Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia near   
 Sharpsburg on September 17. 
 After the battle, the bloodiest day in American history, Keedysville became one vast Union hospital. 
 Keedysville hosted Federal troops for several weeks thereafter.

New Artifacts At Bottom Page
Home Mission / LinksArtifacts  1 Artifacts 2Reenactors Page

Battle of Funkstown, Maryland

Artillery Canister Round Shot 
Battle of Funkstown Maryland  
Canister is ammunition used in cannons 
it was similar to case 
and grapeshot but fired smaller 
and more numerous balls.
Battle of Funkstown, Maryland

Exploded artilery shell fragment
Square nail
Case shot from exploded shell
Civil war musket bullet​

Battle of Antietam
September 17th 1862

About the 34th New York Infantry Staff Button

 "This button was found where the New York troops were on their way to the East Woods to fight.   
  All artifacts are recovered from private land with the owner's permission."


Col. James A. Suiter Commanding

Enlisted under President Lincoln's Call, issued April 15, 1861, for 75,000 men, to serve two years. Mustered into the State service May 1, 1861 Mustered into the United States service June 15, 1861 Mustered out June 30, 1863 First Brigade Second Division Second Corps, 
To the memory of the gallant men who fell on this and other Historic fields. 
The dead on this field were 43 and the wounded 74.
New York Staff Officers Civil War Coat Button
This is what the Staff officers button would look like
Civil War Artifact Preservation Association 
would like to give a big Thank You to
Community Manager Kimberly Ritter at Cranes Meadow
for your donation of Artifacts.

Civil War cavalry .54 Burnside cartridge bullet with the black powder 
after 150 years.

Melted Civil war bullet from camp site fire pits.
Note the charcoal from fire pit, 
Many soldiers would sit by a camp fire and make there own bullets, 
some would also throw them in the fire pit.

Civil War musket caps, this is what fires the musket
Back mark of an Eagle civil war button
Brass number 1 used on a Kepi or a slouch hat.
These are the smaller officer's size characters are much rarer then former.
Leather from a boot or shoe, lots of time soldiers could not repair their shoes nor their boots and they toss them in trash.
Pottery for cooking/drinking and such
 By doing some research it does show this was a Union Civil War infantry and cavalry campsite. 
There were other items such as broken glass, animal bones and square nails,
3/17/2018 - ITEM NO# 38046

Civil War Excavated "US" Federal Cartridge Box plate
 recovered from Battle of Gettysburg 1863.
Photos Above

The first shot of the Battle of Gettysburg is said to have been fired by a Union cavalry officer at 7:30 A.M. on July 1, 1863 along the Chambersburg Turnpike three miles west of the town.

The Southern column halted and threw forward skirmishers. By 9 A.M. two brigades of General Henry Heth’s Division were in line of battle atop Herr’ Ridge west of Willougby’s Run.

Up until that point in the battle, the Confederates had only encountered Union cavalry and were unaware of the approaching Northern infantry.

As General James Archer’s brigade moved across the open fields south of Chambersburg Pike, across Willoughby’s Run, and through the Herbst Woodlot they were met by only slight resistance.

Suddenly a long line of Union Infantry appeared in their front, and quickly flanked Archer’s brigade on its right.

The unexpected turn of events took Archer by surprise and he started to retreat back through the woods and across 
Willoughby’s Run.

Owing to the dense nature of the underbrush near the stream and fact that the brigade had given way so quickly, Archer and about 300 of his men were surrounded and forced to surrender.

According to the best sources available, Archer was captured in a clump of willows “about 30 paces west of Willoughby’s Run,” on what is now private property.  

New Market Virginia
May 1st 2018
Items #48422844

They were tearing down an Old log home built in around 1700's found this old 1700's Hay rake 

Exploded Artillery shell fragments and bullets from the battle of new Market 1864 VMI boys.
Artifact Recovery Memorial Day Weekend 

Found on May 26th 2018

ITEM # 25443
Civil War Harmonica reed plate
     Civil War Knapsack
 "J" Hook

This J hook is the main metallic component of a Civil War era Soldiers pack, Its function was to secure the shoulder straps to the pack itself."
Civil War Shoe 
Hill Plate
Civil War Cartridge Box Fins (Brass)
Civil War Soldiers 
Uniform Buttons
Civil War Scissors
Civil War Cannon Ball Fuse Plug
Battle of Shepherdstown WV 

NOTE -  "All artifacts recovered from private land with owner's permission."

Artifacts Recovered on June 2nd 2018
US Buckle Puppy PAWS 1862
Civil War Musket Bullets
Civil War Musket Bullets
Civil War Mess Knife
Civil War Tent Peg
Civil War Exploded Cannon Ball

Might have belong to the 


On September 18th, the day after the battle at Antietam, both sides remained on the battlefield too bloodied to resume fighting. 

That evening, lead elements of Gen. Robert E. Lee's army began to withdraw across the Potomac River back into Virginia at Boteler's Ford near Shepherdstown. 

Artillery on the south side of the river placed by Brig. Gen. William Pendleton covered the crossing of the remainder of Lee's army that night. 

On September 20th, a detachment of Maj. Gen. Fitz John Porter's Fifth Corps pushed across the river, attacked the Confederate rearguard and captured four guns. 

 That evening, pressing the Rebel defenders, Porter sent forward elements of three brigades across the river to establish a bridgehead. Maj. Gen. A. P. Hill's division counterattacked while many of the Federals were crossing and nearly annihilated the 118th Pennsylvania (the "Corn Exchange" Regiment), inflicting heavy casualties. 

Porter withdrew his force back to the Maryland side of the river. 

The action at Shepherdstown discouraged Federal pursuit of the Confederates across the Potomac and marked the end of Robert E. Lee's Maryland Campaign.

Found on June 9th 2018 - ITEM # 43363
***** Donation of Artifacts *****

   Top -   9th Pennsylvania Infantry Reserves
Bottom - 7th Pennsylvania Infantry Reserves

ITEM # 17011

C.S. Richmond Lock.
An unfinished Harpers Ferry Model 1855 lock plate "Liberated" after capturing the armory in 
1861 and finished in Richmond Virginia

Donated Artifact Civil War Infantry Hat Band October 2nd 2018
2 Whiskey bottles in a Civil war barn used as a field hospital. date on them are around 1850's and 1860's